Sunday, September 21, 2008

This is how it started...

On September 16, 2008 around 2:00 p.m I went to Bank of America at 3580 S. Jones Blvd, Las Vegas Nevada to cash a check drawn on their account. I was forced to take the check to the issuing bank (BOA) due to the 10 day hold WaMu placed on all checks for new account holders. Our move to Las Vegas used most of the funds in our Cleveland bank.

I presented the check to the teller who told me she could cash the check, but I would be charged a $6.00 "Service Fee". However, if I opened an account I would not be charged.

I asked to speak to the manager. The manager of the bank told me that since I am not a BOA customer they could cash the check as a courtesy to me as a non-customer, but they would charge $6.00 for this "service".

Note that this was a BOA check written by a BOA customer.

I told her that I would be happy if she could waive the $6.00 fee, but she refused my request twice. I argued that the bank had an obligation to honor the check AT FACE VALUE with no added fees.

I was not going to pay the $6.00 (on an $80.00 check) and I was not going to open an account with a bank that just tried to force me to become a (reluctant) customer!

... It is not the money, but the principle that BOA is charging fees to non-customers to cash their checks and trying to blackmail you into opening an account that forced me into action!

Instead of paying the $6.00 fee, I went out and bought $50.00 in domains to alert the public and work to change Bank of America tactics, policies, and fees

While talking with my bank (Washington Mutual-WaMu) I was told they do not charge non-customers to cash a WaMu check written to them with proper identification. This is the way banking was in the past and should be like today.

This site will now advise the public on how Bank of America does business and ask everyone to find a more consumer friendly bank until BOA changes their unfair practices and policies.

The public demands:

  • Check reconciliation from lowest to highest dollar value
  • Sliding NSF Fees - No $35.00 Fees on a .60 cent overdraft (example)
  • No unauthorized overdraft loans without customer consent . Clearly marked opt in/opt out
  • No charges for non-customers to cash BOA checks.

This boycott of BOA is the only way to start changing the banking industry and the million-dollar lobbyists paid to keep the high fees that banks now charge.

Please show your support by joining the boycott!

Visit our Bank of America Boycott website and help us stop bank rippoffs!

Thank you,

Robert G. Seketa

1 comment:

Aeon said...

Good for you! I had the same problem with BoA and cashing the check. Something like a $40 check and the quick math in my head meant that they were going to charge me over 10%!!! CRAZY! I got pissed off and left without using their services. Luckily my bank is good and let me scan the check and deposit it that way.

I'm in Vegas - if you need any help just let me know. i applaud your effort, sir!